Current Watches and Warnings
Wyoming, Southwest Big Horn Basin
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:00 AM MDT on April 21, 2015
... This is severe weather awareness week in Wyoming...
The week of April 20 to April 24 has been designated severe weather
awareness week in Wyoming. Today we will discuss making an emergency
plan for natural disasters and all hazards NOAA Weather Radio.
... First step... ready
Before severe weather season... develop an emergency plan and practice
Here are a few questions to ask when developing your plan.
* What is your risk for a natural disaster? Do you live in a flood
prone area? Knowing your risk can help you develop a plan tailored
to your family.
* Where do you go in case of a natural disaster? Is it a basement...
such as during a tornado or to higher ground during a flash flood?
* Do you have a designated meeting place for your family if you get
separated? During a natural disaster... phone service might be
disrupted... and getting in contact with loved ones might be
* What would you do if basic services such as water... gas...
electricity... or telephones were cut off? Having an emergency
supply kit in your home and car is essential... and it is
recommended you keep enough supplies in your home to meet your
needs for at least 3 days. After a natural disaster it could take
awhile for emergency responders to reach your location.
* How will you be notified of a natural disaster? What about at
Fema... the Red Cross... your local emergency management... and
the National Weather Service can help you develop your plan.
Here are a few websites with guidance in making your emergency plan:
red cross: www.Redcross.Org
... Second step... set
When severe weather is possible later in the day or a few days out...
* make sure your emergency plan and supply kit are up-to-date.
* Keep abreast of the latest weather conditions and keep an eye to
the sky especially if a watch is issued for your area.
... Third step... go
* when a warning is issued... activate your emergency plan
One way to get prepared is to have an all hazards NOAA Weather Radio
... All hazards NOAA Weather Radio...
All hazards NOAA Weather Radio is a nationwide network of radio
stations... broadcasting continuous weather information directly from
the nearest National Weather Service office. There are 22 NOAA
Weather Radio stations serving Wyoming... broadcasting official NWS
warnings... watches... forecasts and other hazard information 24 hours
a day... 7 days a week. During severe weather... such as during a
tornado or flash flood event... the normal broadcast of NOAA Weather
Radio will be interrupted by a tone alert... followed by critical
life saving information. The tone will activate all NOAA Weather
Radio receivers in the area which are equipped to receive the
tone... even if the audio is turned off. Like a smoke detector... a
NOAA Weather Radio can wake you in the middle of the night alerting
you to a dangerous situation. Periodically check your NOAA Weather
Radio to make sure it is in good working order. The NWS tests the
NOAA Weather Radio warning alarm system every Wednesday between 11 am
and 1 PM unless there is a threat of severe weather... then the test
is postponed until the next available good weather day. On
Wednesday... the NWS will be conducting a test Tornado Warning... at
1030 am MDT.
NOAA Weather Radio is an all hazards system. This allows local...
state and federal emergency management officials to request messages
to be broadcast during emergency situations. These include child
abduction emergencies... hazardous materials warnings... evacuation
immediate orders... and other civil emergencies.
NOAA Weather Radio receivers can be purchased at many electronic and
internet stores. A list of the vendors is located on the web at
weather.Gov/NWR/nwrrcvr.Htm or contact the Riverton National Weather
National Weather Service
- Alabama - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Record Report
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Iowa - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Maine - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Wind Advisory
- Minnesota - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Areal Flood Watch
- New Jersey - Record Report
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning
- Ohio - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement
- South Dakota - Freeze Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Vermont - Record Report
- Virginia - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- West Virginia - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement
- - Small Craft Advisory
- - Small Craft Advisory