Current Watches and Warnings
West Virginia, Cabell
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:38 PM EDT on July 28, 2014
... Tornado confirmed near 1 mile south of Maxwell WV in Pleasants
and Ritchie counties County West Virginia...
Location... 1 mile south of Maxwell WV in Pleasants and Ritchie
counties County West Virginia
estimated time... 715 EDT PM - 730 EDT PM
maximum ef-scale rating... EF1
estimated maximum wind speed... 100 mph
maximum path width... 200 yards
path length... 4 miles
beginning lat/Lon... 39.3365582n/-81.14119277w
ending lat/Lon... 39.31981284n/-81.11625234w
* fatalities... 0
* injuries... 0
* the information in this statement is preliminary and subject to
change pending final review of the event(s) and publication in
NWS storm data.
the National Weather Service in Charleston WV has confirmed a
tornado near 1 mile south of Maxwell WV in Pleasants and Ritchie
counties County West Virginia on 7/27/2014.
The tornado touched down at approximately 715 PM... one third of a
mile west of Poynette on County Route 20. The storms moved from
northwest to southeast paralleling County Route 20... also called
left Fork Road. The storm survey team then found the end of the
path in Ritchie County on old street. This area is along the
Pleasants and Ritchie County line. The tornado lifted around 730
The total path length of the tornado was determined to be about 4
miles. The tornado was rated an EF1 with maximum winds of 100 mph
based on the healthy Hardwood trees that were snapped and uprooted.
Tornado Watch #447 was issued at 145 PM for Pleasants and Ritchie
counties. A Severe Thunderstorm Warning was issued at 623
PM... valid until 730 PM.
This information can also be found on our website at
For reference... the Enhanced Fujita scale classifies tornadoes
into the following categories:
EF0... wind speeds 65 to 85 mph.
EF1... wind speeds 86 to 110 mph.
EF2... wind speeds 111 to 135 mph.
EF3... wind speeds 136 to 165 mph.
EF4... wind speeds 166 to 200 mph.
EF5... wind speeds greater than 200 mph.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Colorado - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Record Report
- Guam - High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch
- Idaho - Heat Advisory
- Illinois - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Record Report
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Nevada - Flash Flood Watch
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- New York - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Record Report
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Ohio - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- South Carolina - Record Report
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Utah - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Record Report
- Virginia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- West Virginia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Public Information Statement