Current Watches and Warnings
Washington, Greater Vancouver Area
Ice Storm Warning
Statement as of 8:36 PM PST on January 16, 2017
Expires 1:00 AM EST on January 18, 2017
... Ice Storm Warning in effect from 4 am to 10 PM PST Tuesday for
the greater Portland and Vancouver Metro areas...
The National Weather Service in Portland has upgraded the Freezing
Rain Advisory to an Ice Storm Warning... which is in effect from 4
am to 10 PM PST Tuesday.
* Timing... light freezing rain is expected to develop early
Tuesday morning... likely affecting the morning commute. After a
lull during the late morning and early afternoon... expect
heavier precipitation to move in during the late afternoon and
evening. This heavier precipitation will likely fall as freezing
rain in eastern portions of the Metro area.
* Temperatures... .at or below freezing through Tuesday
morning... then slowly climbing above freezing Tuesday afternoon
with most areas transitioning to rain. However... areas east of
Interstate 205 may remain below freezing through much of Tuesday
night... allowing freezing rain to continue for much longer than
other portions of the Metro area.
* Ice accumulation... generally 0.10 to 0.25 inch. However areas
east of I-205 may see 0.25 to 0.5 inch... with localized amounts
of 0.5 to 1 inch in areas closer to The Gorge.
* Impacts... many roads remain snow and ice covered from last weeks
snowstorm. It may take a couple hours of temperatures above
freezing to completely end the freezing rain threat at any given
location. Roads may again become difficult for travel across the
greater Portland and Vancouver Metro area Tuesday morning. Ice
accumulation on trees and power lines may result in downed
branches and lines... which would bring the threat of power
outages Tuesday into Tuesday night.
An Ice Storm Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Significant amounts of ice accumulations
will make travel dangerous or impossible. Travel is strongly
discouraged. Commerce will likely be severely impacted. If you
must travel... keep an extra flashlight... food... and water in your
vehicle in case of an emergency. Ice accumulations and winds will
likely lead to snapped power lines and falling tree branches that
add to the danger.
Areal Flood Watch
Statement as of 3:28 PM PST on January 16, 2017
Expires 7:00 AM EST on January 19, 2017
... Flood Watch remains in effect for the north Oregon coast and Coast
Range... Portland/Vancouver Metro area... and southwest Washington
from the Willapa Hills to the South Washington Cascade foothills from
Tuesday morning through late Wednesday night...
The Flood Watch continues for
* portions of northwest Oregon and southwest Washington...
including the following areas... in northwest Oregon... Coast
Range of northwest Oregon... greater Portland Metro area...
lower Columbia and north Oregon coast. In southwest
Washington... Greater Vancouver area... I-5 corridor in Cowlitz
County... South Washington Cascade foothills... South Washington
coast and Willapa Hills.
* From Tuesday morning through late Wednesday night.
* Freezing levels will rise to 8000 feet tonight which will allow
snowmelt to begin in elevations above low level inversions where
colder air is trapped. Heavy rain will begin Tuesday and cause
rises on rivers and creeks draining the Coast Range... South
Washington Cascades... and Willapa Hills. The heavy rain will
likely cause urban flooding in the Portland/Vancouver Metro
areas as the rain will help melt the existing snowpack. Blocked
storm drains may also contribute to ponding of water on streets.
* Rainfall amounts through Thursday...
* Portland/Vancouver Metro area... 1 to 2 inches
* north Coast Range/Willapa Hills... 3 to 6 inches
* South Washington Cascades foothills... 3 to 6 inches
A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on
You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible
flood warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be
prepared to take action should flooding develop.
Landslides and debris flows are possible during this flood event.
People... structures and roads located below steep slopes... in
canyons and near the mouths of canyons may be at serious risk
from rapidly moving landslides.
- Alabama - Record Report
- Alaska - High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Blizzard Warning , Wind Chill Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning, Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Hydrologic Statement
- Colorado - Record Report
- Connecticut - Freezing Rain Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning
- Idaho - Areal Flood Advisory , Freezing Rain Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Air Quality Alert , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Flood Watch , Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- Kansas - Record Report
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Record Report
- Maine - Winter Storm Watch
- Massachusetts - Winter Weather Advisory
- Michigan - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Freezing Rain Advisory
- Minnesota - Winter Weather Advisory
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Montana - Wind Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Nebraska - Record Report
- Nevada - Special Statement
- New Hampshire - Winter Storm Watch
- New Jersey - Freezing Rain Advisory
- New Mexico - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New York - Freezing Rain Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- North Carolina - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Oregon - High Surf Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory, Air Stagnation Advisory , High Wind Warning, Wind Advisory , Freezing Rain Advisory , Ice Storm Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Freezing Rain Advisory
- Puerto Rico - Coastal Hazard Statement
- South Carolina - Dense Fog Advisory
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Record Report
- Vermont - Winter Weather Advisory
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Virginia - Special Statement , Record Report
- Washington - Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Freezing Rain Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Ice Storm Warning , Ice Storm Warning, Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Air Stagnation Advisory , Avalanche Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Special Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report