Current Watches and Warnings
Vermont, Eastern Franklin
Areal Flood Warning
Statement as of 12:39 PM EDT on May 24, 2013
Expires 6:45 PM EDT on May 24, 2013
The National Weather Service in Burlington has extended the
* Flood Warning for...
northeastern Chittenden County in northwest Vermont
southern Franklin County in northwest Vermont
LaMoille County in northwest Vermont
* until 645 PM EDT
* at 1233 PM EDT the LaMoille river near Cambridge... along with many
rural streams across northeastern Chittenden and western LaMoille
County continue to run high from last night's excessive
rainfall. Recent river gage data and coordination with local
emergency management indicate the LaMoille river continues to rise
and approach flood stage in the Village of Cambridge. Thus high
water may impact State Route 15 at the wrong way bridge with
closures possible. With additional light to moderate rainfall
affecting the warned area into the afternoon hours... the LaMoille
river and other small streams will continue to run high. Thus
highways and some local roads may still see additional flooding.
Locations in the warning include but are not limited to Underhill
Do not go on... in... or near rivers and streams. The high water levels
and fast flows can create deadly consequences for persons who venture
too close and become caught in floodwaters by accident... or
intentionally try to swim or boat on flooded waterways. When you put
yourself in harms way the life you risk is not only your own... you
also risk the lives of Rescue personnel.
A Flood Warning means that flooding is imminent or has been reported.
Lat... Lon 4479 7257 4478 7258 4477 7255 4467 7245
4463 7248 4459 7237 4456 7239 4444 7277
4445 7280 4443 7282 4443 7309 4469 7306
Areal Flood Watch
Statement as of 4:01 PM EDT on May 24, 2013
Expires 4:00 PM EDT on May 26, 2013
... Flood Watch in effect from 8 PM EDT this evening through
The National Weather Service in Burlington has issued a
* Flood Watch for portions of northern New York and Vermont...
including the following areas... in northern New York... eastern
Clinton... eastern Essex... western Clinton and western Essex.
In Vermont... Caledonia... eastern Addison... eastern
Chittenden... eastern Franklin... eastern Rutland... Essex...
LaMoille... Orange... Orleans... Washington... western Addison...
western Chittenden... western Franklin... western Rutland and
* From 8 PM EDT this evening through Sunday afternoon
* widespread moderate to locally heavy rainfall is expected
tonight through Saturday night. Additional rainfall amounts of
1.5 to 3 inches is expected across central and northern Vermont
during this period... with 1 to 2 inches expected across south
central Vermont. These amounts will likely push small streams
back to bankfull by Saturday into Saturday night... and several
mainstem rivers into flood.
A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on
You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible
flood warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be
prepared to take action should flooding develop.
Statement as of 1:58 AM EDT on May 24, 2013
... Record daily maximum rainfall broken and tied across Vermont...
Burlington Vermont received 2.26 inches of rain on Thursday. This
ties the daily maximum rainfall record... which was set in 1955.
A record rainfall of 0.62 inches was set at Montpelier Vermont on
Thursday. This breaks the old record of 0.44 inches set in 2005.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 11:50 AM EDT on May 24, 2013
The following are unofficial observations of rainfall totals since
Sunday may 19 through 8am today.
Appreciation is extended to Highway departments... cooperative and
cocorahs observers... Skywarn spotters and media for these reports.
This summary is also available on our home Page at
********************storm total rainfall********************
Location storm total comments
... Addison County...
Bread Loaf 3.10
... Caledonia County...
St Johnsbury 2.14
... Chittenden County...
Essex Junction 5.27
Burlington 5.06 NWS office
South Burlington 4.43
... Essex County...
Island Pond 3.59
... Franklin County...
St albans 3.34
... Grand Isle County...
South Hero 2.76
... LaMoille County...
Hyde Park 4.59
... Orange County...
... Orleans County...
Derby Center 3.12
North Troy 2.55
... Rutland County...
Mount Holly 2.07
... Washington County...
East Calais 2.75
... Windsor County...
... Clinton County...
Schuyler Falls 3.09
... Essex County...
Mt Van hoevenberg 3.02
Keene Valley 2.97
Lake Placid 2.14
... Franklin County...
Saranac Lake 3.11
... St Lawrence County...
- Alabama - Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- California - Special Statement , Special Weather Statement
- Colorado - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Flood Warning
- Florida - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Frost Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch
- Kentucky - Frost Advisory , Special Weather Statement , Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Special Weather Statement , Special Statement
- Maine - Coastal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Freeze Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Flood Advisory , Frost Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Coastal Flood Advisory
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement , Areal Flood Watch , Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Special Weather Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Special Statement , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Watch
- South Carolina - Flood Warning
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert , Special Weather Statement
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Virgin Islands - Flash Flood Watch
- Virginia - Freeze Warning , Special Weather Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Record Report
View your local ocean forecast and tides in our Marine Report.
See the latest severe weather alerts from the National Weather Services, locally and nationally, in our Severe Weather Center.