Current Watches and Warnings
Statement as of 3:45 AM EST on November 27, 2014
... Record daily maximum rainfall set at Norfolk VA...
a record rainfall of 1.79 inch(es) was set at Norfolk VA yesterday.
This breaks the old record of 1.78 set in 1958.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 11:00 AM EST on December 04, 2014
winter preparedness week in Virginia
November 30- December 6, 2014
Governor Terry mcauliffe has declared the week of November 30 to
December 6, 2014 as winter preparedness week in Virginia. The
National Weather Service /NWS/ offices serving Virginia... in
cooperation with the Virginia department of emergency
management... will send public information statements over the NOAA
weather wire service each day through Saturday at approximately 11
am. These statements will focus on different aspects of winter
weather in the mid Atlantic region... and preparedness actions the
public should take for the upcoming winter season.
Today's topic - are you and your car ready for winter driving?
We all know how hazardous driving can be during winter storms.
In fact... three-quarters (75 percent) of all winter weather related
deaths occur on the Road... either in accidents or people getting
stranded. And... it can take less than 2 inches of snow to make
driving a life-threatening task. February 22, 2001 was a prime
example. A brief period of heavy snow... which dropped the
visibility to near zero... and quickly froze on well travelled
highways... caused 2 multi-vehicle accidents on Virginia interstates.
The first accident occurred in northern Virginia... where more than
one hundred vehicles collided on Interstate 95. The second occurred
just west Richmond on Interstate 64. Nearly 30 vehicles were
involved in this pileup.
A similar event occurred on January 19, 2005 in and around the
Richmond Metro area when an inch to an inch and a half of snow in
a short period of time caused most roads... from interstates to
rural... to quickly ice up. The result was more than 200
accidents... some of which resulted in injury. And... in January
2008... a light coating of ice on the Interstate 95/495 interchange
flyover in northern Virginia caused multiple accidents... as the
flyover became impassable due to a thin coating of ice. The
accident clean up and treating of the roadway resulted in the
interchange being closed for hours.
Obviously... when the weather is bad and driving conditions are
poor... the best bet is to stay at home. However... if you must
venture out... the following tips could make for a safer journey.
1). ****Make sure your car is in good running condition.****
Have a mechanic check your battery, antifreeze, windshield
wipers, ignition and thermostat. Be sure your tires have
enough tread. Replace any of these items if necessary.
2).**** Let someone know your destination and when you plan to
If possible, travel in daylight, use major highways, and bring
a companion along.
3). ****Clean snow and ice off all parts of your car before!! you
snow and ice left on your car can affect your visibility once
you start driving. Before starting out, clean off your vehicle,
especially windows, Hood, roof and lights.
4). ****Keep your Gas Tank as full as possible.****
This will not only give you added peace of mind, but the weight
of the gas will provide additional traction.
5). ****Keep the following basic items in your car - windshield
scraper and brush, booster cables, Tow chain or rope, bag of sand,
blanket, flashlight, first aid kit, Road map, and some
... if you get stranded on the Road...
1). ****Stay in your car. ****
Do not seek shelter or a telephone unless they are close by or
already visible. You can easily become disoriented in heavy
snow and frigid temperatures.
2). ****Periodically turn on the car engine for brief periods.****
This will help provide heat inside the car. However, to avoid
Carbon monoxide gas buildup, clear the exhaust pipe of snow
and leave a downwind window slightly open for ventilation.
3). ****Make yourself visible by tying a colored cloth to your
antenna or door, or by turning on your dome light when running
4). ****Exercise by vigorously moving arms and legs to keep blood
circulating and to keep warm.****
The highways can be the most dangerous place to be during severe
winter weather. However, knowing how to Cope with the elements
can make your winter journeys safer. Above All, drive carefully
and defensively during winter weather conditions. Keep plenty of
distance between yourself and the vehicle in front of you. Do not
exceed the speed you consider to be safe, even if others are
passing you by.
Below is a link to the NOAA winter outlook for 2014-15.
Additional information on winter weather preparedness can be
obtained on-line through the Virginia department of emergency
management home Page. The url is (in lower case):
In addition... the ready Virginia and ready North Carolina web
sites haves been developed to aid virginians and north carolinians
in their overall disaster preparedness. The urls are:
http://www.Vaemergency.Gov/readyvirginia /English version/
http://www.Vaemergency.Gov/listovirginia /Spanish version/
http://readync.Org/ /English version/
http://listonc.Org/ /Spanish version/
Up-to-date weather information is also available on-line from the
following National Weather Service sites (all urls in lower case):
NWS Wakefield - http://weather.Gov/akq
NWS Sterling - http://weather.Gov/lwx
NWS Blacksburg - http://weather.Gov/rnk
NWS Charleston WV - http://weather.Gov/rlx
NWS Morristown TN - http://weather.Gov/mrx
NWS Raleigh NC - http://weather.Gov/rah
National Weather Service winter weather awareness home Page -
warning coordination meteorologist
NOAA/National Weather Service
- Alaska - High Wind Warning , Wind Chill Advisory , Freezing Rain Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arkansas - Tornado Watch
- California - Record Report
- Colorado - Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Freeze Warning , Fire Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Idaho - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Tornado Watch
- Maine - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Flood Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Advisory
- Minnesota - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Public Information Statement
- Montana - High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Avalanche Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Hampshire - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- New York - Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Tornado Watch
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flash Flood Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Public Information Statement
- Texas - Tornado Watch , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Special Weather Statement
- Vermont - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- West Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Warning , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement