Current Watches and Warnings
Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 5:30 PM EDT on September 27, 2016
Expires 8:00 AM EDT on September 30, 2016
... Flash Flood Watch in effect from late Wednesday night through
The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a
* Flash Flood Watch for portions of Maryland... the District of
Columbia... Virginia and West Virginia... including the
following areas... in Maryland... Anne Arundel... Calvert...
Carroll... central and eastern Allegany... central and southeast
Howard... central and southeast Montgomery... Charles...
Frederick MD... northern Baltimore... northwest Harford...
northwest Howard... northwest Montgomery... Prince Georges...
southeast Harford... southern Baltimore... St. Marys and
Washington. The District of Columbia. In Virginia...
Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria... Clarke... Culpeper...
eastern Loudoun... Fairfax... Frederick VA... Greene... King
George... Madison... northern Fauquier... northern Virginia Blue
Ridge... Orange... Page... Prince William/Manassas/Manassas
Park... Rappahannock... Shenandoah... southern Fauquier...
Spotsylvania... Stafford... Warren and western Loudoun. In West
Virginia... Berkeley... eastern Mineral... Hampshire... Hardy...
Jefferson and Morgan.
* From late Wednesday night into Friday morning
* an upper level low pressure over the western Great Lakes will
drop southward into the Ohio Valley Wednesday into Thursday. As
the upper low drops southward... low level flow is forecast to
rapidly increase over the area Wednesday night resulting in
significant moisture transport into the area. Periods of heavy
rainfall are anticipated late Wednesday night through Thursday
night across the central mid-Atlantic. The period of most
intense rainfall is expected late Wednesday night through early
Thursday afternoon. Widespread rainfall amounts of 3 to 5 inches
are expected with localized higher totals in areas of repeated
activity. Eastern slopes of mountains such as the northern Blue
Ridge and Catoctin Mountain also have an increased risk for
higher rain totals.
* Potential exists for flash flooding of small streams... creeks
and urban areas especially in areas of repeated activity.
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.
You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action
should flash flood warnings be issued.
- Alabama - Special Statement
- Alaska - Coastal Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- California - Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Flash Flood Watch
- Florida - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Maryland - Flash Flood Watch
- Minnesota - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- New York - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- North Dakota - Frost Advisory
- Oregon - Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Special Statement , Record Report
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Washington - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Flash Flood Watch
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning
- - Small Craft Advisory