Current Watches and Warnings
Statement as of 10:53 PM EDT on April 27, 2015
Expires 9:00 AM EDT on April 28, 2015
... Frost advisory remains in effect from 2 am to 9 am EDT
* locations... from the Blue Ridge west
* hazards... areas of frost
* temperatures... middle 30s.
* Timing... late tonight through early Tuesday morning
* impacts... cold injury to tender vegetation
A frost advisory means that frost is possible. Sensitive outdoor
plants may be killed if left uncovered.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 7:00 AM EDT on April 28, 2015
... This is air quality awareness week...
This week Marks the beginning of the ozone season for many
areas in the United States.
Today we highlight the causes of poor air quality
Your air quality can vary... depending on how much air pollution is
produced in your community... how much pollution is carried into your
community by the wind... and by weather conditions.
Ozone forms when two groups of key pollutants... nitrogen oxides and
volatile organic compounds... Cook in the sun. Particle pollution
can be directly emitted for example in smoke from a woodstove... but
a lot of particles form when gases react in the air. Nitrogen oxides
and sulfur dioxides contribute to particle formation.
These ozone and particle forming pollutants come from a wide variety
of sources... including cars... trucks... buses... power plants... and
industries. Natural sources such as wildfires and duststorms
contribute to particle pollution. Trees and other vegetation also
Emit organic compounds that contribute to particle and ozone
Weather plays a big role in The Levels of ozone and particle
pollution in your community. Sunlight and heat promote ozone
formation. Light winds and temperature inversions can keep pollution
concentrated near the ground. Depending on its direction... the wind
can bring in more pollution... sometimes from hundreds of miles away.
Geography can affect pollution levels too. Mountain ranges can
prevent pollution from dispersing.
Tomorrow we will learn about the health impacts of poor air quality.
For more information on air quality awareness week... visit US on the
world wide web at www.Airquality.NOAA.Gov.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Frost Advisory
- Kansas - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Maine - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Frost Advisory
- Minnesota - Dense Fog Advisory
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Public Information Statement
- New York - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Ohio - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- Rhode Island - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Frost Advisory
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement