Current Watches and Warnings
Texas, Coastal Willacy
Coastal Flood Statement, Coastal Hazard Statement
Statement as of 1:38 AM CDT on May 01, 2016
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on May 01, 2016
... High rip current risk remains in effect through today...
... Minor tidal overflow through today...
* coastal flooding... tides will continue to run more than a foot
above predicted levels this weekend on the Lower Texas coast. At
times of high tide... from late this morning through early this
afternoon... water will reach the dunes at unimproved public
beaches on South Padre Island north through Kenedy County.
* Rip currents... long period swells will continue to bring
dangerous longshore and rip currents to all beaches tonight...
with a straight rip current threat today as swells become more
perpendicular to the beach.
* Timing... tidal run up: 10 am through 3 PM today. Rip and
longshore currents: through today.
* Impacts... for tidal run up and overwash: water into the dunes
from beach access 4 northward will make driving difficult to
impossible at and around times of high tide today. For rip
currents: hot and generally sunny weather this weekend will
bring large crowds to South Padre Island and increase the danger
for poor swimmers who are not equipped to enter the water
There is a high risk of rip and longshore currents.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards... beach patrol
flags and signs.
If you become caught in a rip current... Yell for help. Remain
calm... do not exhaust yourself and stay afloat while waiting for
help. If you have to swim out of a rip current... swim parallel to
shore and back toward the beach when possible. Do not attempt to
swim directly against a rip current as you will tire quickly.
Poor swimmers should remain in water to knee height... and average
swimmers to waist height. All other swimmers should enter the
water with a flotation device such as a life Vest... boogie
board... or kick board with a safety rope.
- Alaska - Wind Advisory
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- American Samoa - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- California - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory , Freeze Warning , Winter Weather Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Idaho - Frost Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement
- Kentucky - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch
- Louisiana - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Maine - Special Statement
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Hydrologic Statement
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Nevada - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- Ohio - Flash Flood Watch
- Oklahoma - Flood Warning , Freeze Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Special Statement
- South Dakota - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Tennessee - Areal Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Flood Statement, Coastal Hazard Statement , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Flash Flood Watch
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement