Current Watches and Warnings
Statement as of 4:21 PM CDT on August 20, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on August 21, 2014
... Heat advisory now in effect until 7 PM CDT Thursday...
* event... heat index readings of 105 to 110.
* Timing... by 10 am readings should exceed 103 and peak between
noon and 5 PM then fall slowly during the early evening.
* Impact... overheating and dehydration can quickly occur if you
will be outdoors today. It can be difficult to recognize the
signs of heat exhaustion on yourself... so plan to take frequent
breaks. You may recognize the signs of heat exhaustion more
readily in others.
Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion... heavy sweating...
fatigue... confusion... headache... pale and clammy skin... thirst...
dizziness... nausea and vomiting... rapid heartbeat... cramps or
Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When
possible... reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or
evening. Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when
possible and drink plenty of water. Be sure to drink plenty of
water hours before strenuous activity and then during.
To reduce risk during outdoor work... the occupational safety and
health administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks
in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by
heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke
is an emergency - call 911.
Each year... a number of fatalities occur nationwide due to
children accidentally being left in vehicles during the Summer
months. In the past dozen years... 500 children have died due to
hyperthermia after being left in or gaining access to cars. Never
leave children or pets unattended in a vehicle not even for a
minute. Remember... beat the heat... check the backseat.
- Alabama - Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- California - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Heat Advisory
- Illinois - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Record Report
- Kansas - Heat Advisory
- Kentucky - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Mississippi - Special Statement
- Missouri - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Record Report
- Nevada - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- New York - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Ohio - Flood Warning
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory
- South Dakota - Flash Flood Warning , Record Report
- Texas - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Special Statement
- Washington - Flash Flood Watch
- West Virginia - Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement