Current Watches and Warnings
Areal Flood Watch
Statement as of 3:39 PM CDT on September 18, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 19, 2014
... Flood Watch remains in effect through Friday evening...
The Flood Watch continues for
* portions of northwest Texas and the Panhandle of Texas...
including the following areas... in northwest Texas... Bailey...
Cochran... Cottle... Crosby... Dickens... Floyd... Garza... Hale...
Hockley... Kent... King... Lamb... Lubbock... Lynn... Motley...
Stonewall... Terry and Yoakum. In the Panhandle of Texas...
Briscoe... Castro... Parmer and Swisher.
* Through Friday evening
* the remnants of tropical cyclone Odile... currently over southern
New Mexico... are expected to slowly move toward West Texas over
the next few days. The airmass across the Texas South Plains
region just in advance of Odile remains saturated... while the
ground has been soaked by several recent rain storms. This will
bring potential for widespread heavy rainfall in the range of 1 to
4 inches... while locally higher accumulations are likely as
well. And since run-off potential will be high... these rain
amounts could cause areal flooding or local flash flooding.
* Areal flooding will be possible in poor drainage areas...
including low lying roadways in urban areas... near Playa
Lakes..and along creeks and draws. Pockets of flash flooding
will be possible in areas prone to rapid runoff such as the edge
of The Caprock Escarpment.
A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on
You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible
flood warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be
prepared to take action should flooding develop.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:22 PM CDT on September 18, 2014
... Public information statement...
A plume of deep moisture associated with the former tropical cyclone
Odile will continue to flow across West Texas and produce widespread
showers and thunderstorms across the area through Saturday.
Through early Thursday afternoon... much of the South Plains region
has already received one to three inches of rainfall... with locally
heavier amounts up to around five or six inches estimated by radar.
Below is a list of some of the rainfall reports received by our office
through 2 PM Thursday.
... 24 hour rainfall totals...
... National Weather Service stations...
Lubbock Preston Smith
international Airport 1.16 in
Childress Airport 0.05 in
... Kvii-TV schoolnet...
Plainview 4ssw 4.31 in
... West Texas mesonet...
Gail 2ese 3.80 in
Post 1ne 3.49 in
Amherst 1ne 3.34 in
Olton 6s 3.21 in
Roaring Springs 3n 3.12 in
Muleshoe 2ssw 3.08 in
Lake Alan Henry 1nw 3.01 in
Slaton 2ne 2.59 in
Floydada 2nne 2.40 in
Aspermont 3ne 2.29 in
Plainview 1s 2.28 in
Hobbs nm 5nw 2.01 in
Aiken 3wsw 1.93 in
Anton 6ssw 1.85 in
Jayton 1sse 1.67 in
Abernathy 5ene 1.66 in
Guthrie 10wsw 1.53 in
Reese center 1.50 in
spur 1w 1.46 in
Tahoka 3nne 1.42 in
White River lake 6nw 1.34 in
Ralls 1se 1.23 in
O'Donnell 1n 1.16 in
Paducah 10sw 1.12 in
Graham 5ssw 0.93 in
Lubbock 3wnw ttu 0.92 in
Sundown 8wsw 0.71 in
Wolfforth 6ssw 0.67 in
Silverton 7ese 0.55 in
Hart 3n 0.53 in
Northfield 1s 0.48 in
Caprock canyons State Park 0.43 in
Morton 1ene 0.42 in
Turkey 2wsw 0.41 in
Tulia 2ene 0.31 in
Levelland 4s 0.31 in
Denver City 7wnw 0.31 in
Brownfield 2s 0.22 in
Seminole 2nne 0.20 in
Lamesa 2se 0.19 in
Dimmitt 2ne 0.12 in
plains 3n 0.10 in
Friona 2ne 0.09 in
Seagraves 1sw 0.08 in
- Alabama - Special Weather Statement
- Arizona - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Weather Statement , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Record Report
- Maine - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Nebraska - Record Report
- Nevada - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Weather Statement , Record Report
- New Hampshire - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- New Mexico - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- New York - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Coastal Flood Advisory, Beach Hazard Statement , Coastal Flood Advisory
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Puerto Rico - Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Hydrologic Statement , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report