Current Watches and Warnings
South Dakota, Sturgis/Piedmont Foot Hills
Areal Flood Watch
Statement as of 2:47 AM MDT on September 30, 2014
Expires 2:00 PM EDT on September 30, 2014
... Flood Watch remains in effect until noon MDT today...
The Flood Watch continues for
* portions of South Dakota and northeast Wyoming... including the
following areas... in South Dakota... Butte... central Black
Hills... Custer co plains... Fall River... Harding... Hermosa foot
hills... northern Black Hills... northern foot hills... northern
Meade co plains... Pennington co plains... Perkins... Rapid
City... Shannon... southern Black Hills... southern foot hills...
southern Meade co plains and Sturgis/Piedmont foot hills. In
northeast Wyoming... northeastern Crook... western Crook and
Wyoming Black Hills.
* Until noon MDT today
* widespread rain will fall over northeastern Wyoming and western
South Dakota this morning. The rain will be heavy at times.
* Some areas of the Black Hills and far southwestern South Dakota
have received 1 to 3 inches of rain. An additional half inch of
rain is likely this morning with locally higher amounts.
A Flood Watch means that flooding is possible along rivers and
creeks in the watch area... but is not imminent. If you are in the
watch area... take time to move livestock... equipment... and other
property from low lying areas before flooding occurs. Monitor
NOAA Weather Radio and local media for updated forecasts and be
ready to quickly move to higher ground if rising water levels are
observed or a warning is issued.
Statement as of 2:53 AM MDT on September 30, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 30, 2014
... Wind Advisory in effect until 6 PM MDT this evening...
The National Weather Service in Rapid City has issued a Wind
Advisory... which is in effect until 6 PM MDT this evening.
* Timing... through this afternoon.
* Winds... winds will become north 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 50
mph by mid-morning.
* Impacts... sudden wind gusts can cause drivers to lose control...
especially in lightweight or high profile vehicles. Strong winds
can cause flying debris.
A Wind Advisory means 30 mph winds... or gusts over 45 mph... are
expected or occurring.
Statement as of 2:40 AM MDT on September 30, 2014
... Record daily maximum rainfall set at Rapid City Airport SD...
A record rainfall of 2.05 inches was set at Rapid City Airport SD
yesterday. This breaks the old record of 0.44 set in 1965.
Yesterdays rainfall was the second highest one day total for the
month of September. The highest one day total of rainfall for
September is 2.13 inches which fell on September 13 1966.
- Alabama - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Alaska - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- California - Frost Advisory , Frost Advisory, Freeze Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- Colorado - Areal Flood Warning , Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Areal Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Guam - Tropical Storm Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Hawaii - High Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Special Statement
- Indiana - Special Statement
- Kentucky - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Maryland - Special Statement
- Minnesota - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Special Statement
- Nebraska - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- New Jersey - Special Statement
- New York - Special Statement
- North Carolina - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Special Statement
- Oregon - Frost Advisory, Freeze Warning , Freeze Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- South Carolina - Dense Fog Advisory
- South Dakota - Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Tennessee - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Special Weather Statement
- Virginia - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Washington - Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- West Virginia - Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Watch , High Wind Warning , Record Report