Current Watches and Warnings
South Dakota, Rapid City
Areal Flood Advisory, Areal Flood Watch
Statement as of 9:31 AM MDT on September 30, 2014
Expires 2:00 PM EDT on September 30, 2014
247 am MDT Tue Sep 30 2014
... Flood Advisory remains in effect for Fall River... Custer...
southwestern Pennington and western Shannon counties until 1230 PM
At 931 am MDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar and trained
weather spotters indicated an area of very heavy rainfall across
southwestern South Dakota. Widespread areas of three to five inches
of rain have been reported so far.
Heavy rain continues to fall across the advisory area. Runoff from
this excessive rainfall will cause minor flooding to occur. The
heavy rain will tapper off this afternoon... with scattered showers
continuing through Wednesday.
Rapid creek in Rapid Valley was out of its banks. One to two inches
of water was covering a small portion of Anderson Road east of Rapid
No reports of flooding have been received in Fall River or Custer
counties so far. However... small creeks and streams are running very
high. Debris in these streams can quickly block culverts... which
could cause minor flooding.
Do not drive your vehicle into areas where the water covers the
roadway. The water depth may be too great to allow your car to cross
Lat... Lon 4299 10405 4414 10406 4413 10272 4369 10278
... Flood Watch remains in effect until noon MDT today...
The Flood Watch continues for
* portions of South Dakota and northeast Wyoming... including the
following areas... in South Dakota... Butte... central Black
Hills... Custer co plains... Fall River... Harding... Hermosa foot
hills... northern Black Hills... northern foot hills... northern
Meade co plains... Pennington co plains... Perkins... Rapid
City... Shannon... southern Black Hills... southern foot hills...
southern Meade co plains and Sturgis/Piedmont foot hills. In
northeast Wyoming... northeastern Crook... western Crook and
Wyoming Black Hills.
* Until noon MDT today
* widespread rain will fall over northeastern Wyoming and western
South Dakota this morning. The rain will be heavy at times.
* Some areas of the Black Hills and far southwestern South Dakota
have received 1 to 3 inches of rain. An additional half inch of
rain is likely this morning with locally higher amounts.
A Flood Watch means that flooding is possible along rivers and
creeks in the watch area... but is not imminent. If you are in the
watch area... take time to move livestock... equipment... and other
property from low lying areas before flooding occurs. Monitor
NOAA Weather Radio and local media for updated forecasts and be
ready to quickly move to higher ground if rising water levels are
observed or a warning is issued.
Statement as of 9:36 AM MDT on September 30, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 30, 2014
... Wind Advisory remains in effect until 6 PM MDT this evening...
A Wind Advisory remains in effect until 6 PM MDT this evening.
* Timing... through this afternoon.
* Winds... sustained winds of 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.
* Impacts... sudden wind gusts can cause drivers to lose
control... especially in lightweight or high profile vehicles.
Strong winds can cause flying debris.
A Wind Advisory means 30 mph winds... or gusts over 45 mph... are
expected or occurring.
Statement as of 2:40 AM MDT on September 30, 2014
... Record daily maximum rainfall set at Rapid City Airport SD...
A record rainfall of 2.05 inches was set at Rapid City Airport SD
yesterday. This breaks the old record of 0.44 set in 1965.
Yesterdays rainfall was the second highest one day total for the
month of September. The highest one day total of rainfall for
September is 2.13 inches which fell on September 13 1966.
- Alaska - Record Report
- California - Frost Advisory , Frost Advisory, Freeze Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- Colorado - Areal Flood Warning , Frost Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Areal Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Guam - Tropical Storm Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Hawaii - High Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Record Report
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Minnesota - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Frost Advisory, Freeze Warning , Freeze Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Areal Flood Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Special Weather Statement
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement