Current Watches and Warnings
Rhode Island, Newport
High Surf Advisory
Statement as of 10:17 PM EDT on August 27, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on August 28, 2014
... High surf advisory remains in effect until 8 PM EDT Thursday...
* location... South Coast of Rhode Island and Massachusetts
including Nantucket... Marthas Vineyard and Block Island.
* Surf height... 6 to 12 feet.
* Timing... through 8 PM Thursday night. This may have to be
extended into Friday.
* Impacts... high risk of dangerous surf and rip currents. Also
viewers of large surf should be in safe areas well away from
possible splash over. Large waves can sweep a person into the
water from what may seem to be a safe viewing area. Falling
into the turbulent and sometimes Rocky Waters can result in
injury that reduces the chance of survival.
A rip current... sometimes mistakenly called an undertow... is a
strong but narrow current of water flowing from the beach to the
surf zone. It can rapidly carry a swimmer into deeper water and
exhaust an individual trying to swim against it.
If you are a poor swimmer and are caught in a rip current... swim
parallel to the beach until out of its pull. Another means of
escape for those who are good swimmers is to ride the current out
beyond the surf zone where the rip current dissipates... then swim
toward shore outside the effect of the narrow rip current.
Do not attempt to swim back to shore directly against the
current... it can exhaust and drown even the strongest swimmer.
Heed the advice of the beach patrol and swim only at guarded
beaches. Watch your children. Be especially cautious near piers
and jetties where rip currents can be enhanced.
For the latest updates... please visit our webpage at
You can follow US on facebook at
- Alabama - Air Quality Alert
- Arizona - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - High Surf Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Georgia - Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Record Report
- Indiana - Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Flash Flood Watch
- Kansas - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Maine - High Surf Advisory
- Maryland - Beach Hazard Statement
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Advisory , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- New Jersey - Coastal Hazard Statement
- New York - High Surf Advisory
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- Texas - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Utah - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Beach Hazard Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Special Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report , Public Information Statement