Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Southern Nassau
Coastal Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:12 AM EDT on August 25, 2016
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on August 25, 2016
... High rip current risk in effect from 2 PM EDT this afternoon
through this evening...
The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a high rip
current risk... which is in effect from 2 PM EDT this afternoon
through this evening.
* Locations... the ocean beaches of New York City and Nassau
* Rip current risk... moderate... then becoming high this afternoon
and early this evening.
* Surf height... up to 3 feet.
* Lightning risk... none.
* Timing... this afternoon and early this evening.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Talk to lifeguards and beach officials to
learn about any surf hazards and heed their advice. Pay attention
to flags and posted signs and swim in life guarded areas.
If you become caught in a rip current... Yell for help. Remain
calm... do not exhaust yourself and stay afloat while waiting for
help. If you have to swim out of a rip current... swim parallel to
shore. Once you are away from the force of the rip current...
begin to swim back toward the beach. Do not attempt to swim
directly against a rip current as you will tire quickly.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Iowa - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Michigan - Flood Warning
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Special Statement
- Montana - Air Quality Alert
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Ohio - Special Statement
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- Texas - Flood Warning
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement