Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Southwest Suffolk
Coastal Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:11 PM EDT on August 29, 2016
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on August 30, 2016
... High rip current risk now in effect through Tuesday evening...
* locations... the ocean beaches of Kings... southern
Queens... southern Nassau... and southern Suffolk counties.
* Rip current risk... high
* surf height... 3 to 4 feet.
* Lightning risk... none
* timing... through 800 PM EDT Tuesday.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Talk to lifeguards and beach officials to
learn about any surf hazards and heed their advice. Pay attention
to flags and posted signs and swim in life guarded areas.
If you become caught in a rip current... Yell for help. Remain
calm... do not exhaust yourself and stay afloat while waiting for
help. If you have to swim out of a rip current... swim parallel to
shore. Once you are away from the force of the rip current...
begin to swim back toward the beach. Do not attempt to swim
directly against a rip current as you will tire quickly.
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Beach Hazard Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Hurricane Watch , High Surf Advisory , High Surf Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Flood Watch
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flash Flood Watch
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Watch
- Minnesota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Coastal Flood Watch
- Missouri - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch
- Montana - Air Quality Alert
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Nevada - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- New Jersey - Beach Hazard Statement
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Tropical Storm Warning , Hurricane Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Watch
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning
- South Carolina - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Coastal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Record Report
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning