Current Watches and Warnings
New Mexico, Lowlands of the Bootheel
Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 6:53 PM MDT on September 16, 2014
Expires 2:00 AM EDT on September 19, 2014
331 PM MDT Tue Sep 16 2014
The National Weather Service in El Paso has issued a
* Flood Advisory for...
southern Hidalgo County in southwest New Mexico...
* until 845 PM MDT
* at 652 PM MDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated
thunderstorms with heavy rainfall across the advisory area. Doppler
radar estimated over an inch of rain had fallen over rain wet areas
during the last hour.
* Locations impacted include...
Runoff from this excessive rainfall will cause minor flooding to
occur... especially along small streams and near low water crossings.
Excessive rainfall can quickly turn dry desert washes and arroyos
into raging rivers... even in areas far from where rain has fallen. Do
not attempt to cross flooded arroyos. Swiftly moving water can carve
deep channels in previously shallow washes... and water can be much
deeper than it appears. If your Route becomes cut off by flooded
arroyos... wait for flood waters to recede.
In hilly terrain there are hundreds of low water crossings which are
potentially dangerous in heavy rain. Do not attempt to travel across
flooded roads. It only takes a few inches of swiftly flowing water to
carry vehicles away.
Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the
dangers of flooding. If flooding is observed act quickly. Do not
enter the water. Turn around and move up to higher ground to escape
Lat... Lon 3158 10902 3157 10829 3132 10838 3133 10901
... Flash Flood Watch now in effect through midnight Thursday
The Flash Flood Watch is now in effect for
* southwest and south central New Mexico. Included are
Hidalgo... Grant... Sierra... Luna... Dona Ana... and Otero counties
in New Mexico. Of special concern will be western Sierra and
eastern Grant counties with excessive runoff from the Black
Range and the mountains of the Gila.
* Through Thursday evening
* several bands of heavy rain are expected ahead of the actual
passage of Odile tonight. Wednesday night and through Thursday
the remnants of Odile are expected to move in from the west to
bring another period of widespread heavy rainfall.
* Normally dry arroyos... streams... and river could be quickly
filled with fast moving water... mud and debris. Low water
crossings will likely become impassable. Several rivers will
likely reach bankful and rise above flood stage. Flooding of
homes and businesses in low lying and flood prone areas will be
possible. Some flooding could become life threatening. People
living in flood prone areas should be prepared to take action if
rising water is seen.
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.
You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action
should flash flood warnings be issued.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Coastal Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Nevada - Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- New Mexico - Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Carolina - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report