Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:27 AM EDT on July 28, 2014
Expires 11:00 PM EDT on July 28, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from St joesph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions today include...
North Beach in South Haven
Holland State Park
Muskegon State Park
Mears State Park in Pentwater
Stearns Park in Ludington.
* Overview/potential impacts... north winds 15 to 25 mph creating waves
4 to 8 feet will make swimming very hazardous. The north sides
of piers and break walls will be particularly dangerous.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
- Alabama - Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Record Report
- Colorado - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Flood Warning
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Heat Advisory
- Georgia - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Heat Advisory
- Illinois - Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement
- Kansas - Record Report
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Montana - Record Report
- Nevada - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- New Jersey - Areal Flood Advisory
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- New York - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Ohio - Flash Flood Watch
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Weather Statement
- Pennsylvania - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Texas - Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory
- Utah - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Heat Advisory
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report , Public Information Statement