Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 9:50 PM EDT on June 27, 2017
Expires 2:00 PM EDT on June 29, 2017
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect from 8 am EDT
Wednesday through Thursday afternoon...
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions include... South
Beach in South Haven... Grand Haven State Park... Pere Marquette
Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... winds will increase beginning
late tonight, and become hazardous beginning Wednesday
morning. Southerly winds of 20 to 30 mph and waves of 4 to 7
feet will create very dangerous conditions. The most dangerous
conditions will be on the south side of structures. Conditions
will continue to be hazardous through Thursday morning, before
winds and waves diminish Thursday afternoon.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alabama - Flood Warning
- Alaska - Wind Advisory
- Arizona - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- California - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- Colorado - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Record Report
- Kansas - Special Statement , Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- New Mexico -
- North Carolina - Coastal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- North Dakota - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning
- Rhode Island - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Coastal Flood Advisory
- South Dakota - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Texas - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning
- Wisconsin - Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement