Current Watches and Warnings
Statement as of 4:14 AM CDT on August 20, 2017
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on August 20, 2017
... Heat advisory in effect from 1 PM this afternoon to 7 PM CDT
The National Weather Service in Wichita has issued a heat
advisory... which is in effect from 1 PM this afternoon to 7 PM
CDT this evening.
* Heat index values... will reach around 105 due to temperatures in
the mid and upper 90s and dewpoints from 65 to 75 degrees.
* Timing... from 1 PM to 7 PM today.
* Impacts... any activities will place one at in increased risk for
heat exhaustion. Never leave children or pets in a vehicle for
Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When
possible, reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or
evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat
stroke. Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when possible
and drink plenty of cool water.
To reduce risk during outdoor work, the occupational safety and
health administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks
in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat
should be moved to a cool and shaded location immediately! Heat
stroke is an emergency. Call 9 1 1.
A heat advisory means that a period of hot temperatures is likely.
The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will create
conditions where heat illnesses are possible. Drink plenty of
cool water and stay in an air conditioned room. Be sure to check
on relatives and neighbors. Temperatures within vehicles can
become lethal in only a few minutes. Never leave children or pets
in vehicles for any duration!
Remember to beat the heat. Check the backseat.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory
- California - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Hawaii - Special Statement , Record Report
- Idaho - Fire Weather Watch
- Illinois - Special Statement
- Indiana - Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Special Statement, Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Kansas - Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement , Special Statement, Air Quality Alert
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory
- Maine - Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Mississippi - Heat Advisory
- Missouri - Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Montana - Air Quality Alert
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Nevada -
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch
- New York - Record Report
- Ohio - Dense Fog Advisory
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Pennsylvania - Dense Fog Advisory
- Puerto Rico - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Tennessee - Heat Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- West Virginia - Dense Fog Advisory
- Wyoming - Special Statement