Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Boulder And Jefferson Counties Below 6000 Feet/West Broomfield County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MST on January 26, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
22-26 in 1948... the longest period of snowfall on record (92 hours
and 3 minutes) occurred in downtown Denver where a total of
13.6 inches of snow fell. At Stapleton Airport... 19.0 inches
of snow fell... making it the heaviest snow in January and the
5th heaviest snow of record at that time. North winds were
sustained to a velocity of 23 mph on the 25th... but generally
the winds were light throughout the storm. The snow
disrupted traffic... but street clearing was begun soon after
it became apparent that the snow would be heavy. Over the
5 days... temperatures ranged from a high of 48 degrees on
the 22nd to a low of 1 degree on the 26th. Most readings
were in the teens and 20's during the storm.
24-26 in 1970... a wind gust to 122 mph was recorded at the National
center for atmospheric research in Boulder on the 24th.
Winds also gusted to 109 mph at ncar on the 26th. Most
winds were estimated between 60 and 70 mph in Boulder.
Damage... in most cases... was from broken windows and tree
limbs and downed power lines. A roof was blown off a
house in Eldorado Springs south of Boulder. A building
under construction was damaged in Boulder. Reported
damage totaled 25 hundred dollars in Boulder. Northwest
winds gusted to 47 mph at Stapleton International Airport
on the 24th. In Denver... the Chinook winds warmed the
temperature to a record high of 68 degrees on the 24th.
25-26 in 1910... gale force westerly winds of great velocity struck
Boulder. Some damage was reported. West winds were
sustained to 45 mph in Denver on the 25th.
25-27 in 1897... a cold spell resulted in three temperature records.
Low temperature of 14 degrees below zero on the 27th was
a record minimum for the date. High temperatures of only
3 degrees on the 25th and 2 degrees on the 26th were record
low maximums for the dates. Very light snow or flurries
fell on the 25th and 26th at times.
26 in 1902... the low temperature dipped to 20 degrees below zero.
In 1916... sleet... grains of ice... a rare occurrence in Denver...
fell for 3 hours and 15 minutes... covering the ground.
In 1999... high winds developed in and near the foothills.
Peak wind reports included: 82 mph in Boulder and at
Jefferson County Airport near Broomfield... 79 mph at
the Rocky Flats environmental test facility... and 72 mph
at the National center for atmospheric research Mesa lab
near Boulder. West winds gusted to 40 mph at Denver
International Airport where the temperature warmed to a
high of 54 degrees.
26-27 in 1944... heavy snowfall totaled 8.0 inches in downtown
Denver. Most of the snow... 7.0 inches... occurred on the
26th when northwest winds were sustained to 17 mph.
In 1973... at Stapleton International Airport... only 3.8 inches
of snowfall were measured and north winds gusted to 40 mph
causing some blowing snow... while over the Colorado eastern
plains heavy snow accompanied by high winds created
widespread blizzard conditions closing many highways.
In 1994... the combination of an upper level storm system
and moist upslope winds brought heavy snow and cold
temperatures to Metro Denver and much of eastern Colorado.
Snowfall across Metro Denver averaged 5 to 7 inches.
Snowfall totaled 3.8 inches at Stapleton International
Airport where east winds gusted to 21 mph on the 26th.
In 2000... snow... heavy in the mountains... spread over the
foothills and Metro Denver. Eight inches of snow were
measured at Bergen Park and near Evergreen. Snowfall
totaled 3.8 inches at the site of the former Stapleton
26-1 in 1888... a protracted warm spell lasted a week. Maximum
temperatures ranged from 62 degrees on the 29th to an
all time record high for the month of 76 degrees on the
27th. Daily record high temperatures of 76... 69... and 71
occurred on the 27th... 28th... and 30th respectively.
Record high minimum temperatures of 47 and 34 occurred
on the 26th and 27th.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - Wind Chill Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- California - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Coastal Flood Watch , Blizzard Warning
- Delaware - Coastal Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Winter Weather Advisory
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement, High Surf Advisory , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Freezing Fog Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Advisory
- Indiana - Special Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Coastal Flood Watch , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Warning, Coastal Flood Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning
- Minnesota - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Montana - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Hampshire - Coastal Flood Watch , Blizzard Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- New Jersey - Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Watch , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning , Public Information Statement
- New York - Coastal Flood Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- Ohio - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Blizzard Warning
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Lake Wind Advisory
- Tennessee - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning
- Vermont - Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Special Statement
- Washington - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- West Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , Record Report