Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Larimer and Boulder Counties Between 6000 and 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:59 AM MDT on July 28, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
13-5 in 2008... a streak of 24 consecutive days of 90 degrees
shattered the previous record of 18 consecutive days
established in 1901 and 1874. Ironically... no new single
day record high temperatures were set in the month of July.
In August however... a record of 104 degrees was set on the
1st... and another record of 103 degrees was set on the 2nd.
In addition... a record low min of 70 degrees was set on
18-2 in 1987... a streak of 16 consecutive days of 90 degrees
ranked 4th on the list of hot streaks. The record of
24 consecutive days was established in the Summer of
27-31 in 1956... 96 percent of the total precipitation for the month
of July occurred over the last five days of the month.
Heavy thunderstorms produced 4.00 inches of rainfall at
Stapleton Airport. This amount of precipitation in 5 days
or less had been exceeded only 3 times in previous record.
The last time had been in December of 1913 as snow.
Considerable property damage occurred across Metro Denver
28 in 1882... intense thunderstorm lightning struck a number of
places in the city... but no significant damage was reported.
In 1910... heavy thunderstorm rainfall totaled 2.21 inches in
downtown Denver. Rainfall was 1.11 inches in an hour during
the early afternoon.
In 1922... heavy rainfall to the south of Denver caused Cherry
Creek to rise to the top of the retaining walls in the city.
The creek did not flood; however... the large volume of water
discharged into the South Platte river did inundate a few
blocks of globeville. Flooding also occurred along bayou
creek near Franktown to the south of the city.
In 1923... thunderstorm winds were sustained to 38 mph with
gusts to 52 mph.
In 1957... iridescent cirrocumulus clouds of unusual formation
and Brilliant color... oriented from southwest to northeast
over Metro Denver... were sighted by U.S. Weather Bureau
observers at Stapleton Airport shortly after noon.
In 1966... heavy rains from a severe thunderstorm caused flash
flooding on Deer Creek... southwest of Littleton. A child was
injured when washed from a car caught in the flood waters.
The flooding damaged property along the creek. Strong winds
damaged several houses in suburban Littleton.
In 1970... a microburst wind gust to 52 mph was recorded at
Stapleton International Airport.
In 1974... a tornado was sighted just east of Buckley field in
Aurora. No damage was reported.
In 1982... up to 2.50 inches of rain drenched an area just
southwest of Denver in 30 minutes. This was the second day
of heavy rain across portions of Metro Denver.
In 1984... 1.25 inches of rain fell in 45 minutes in Arvada.
Minor flooding occurred on Bear Creek after a small dam
In 1989... lightning killed two men in Arvada. They were taking
wash from a clothesline when a Bolt hit the older man... 39...
killing him instantly. The Bolt then traveled along the
line... which was stretched between 2 tall trees... and hit his
26-year-old brother who died the next day.
In 1996... several weak tornadoes developed along a thunderstorm
outflow boundary that moved into southern Weld... northern
Jefferson... and Adams counties. The tornadoes sighted near
Bennett... Barr Lake... and in Arvada caused little damage.
Strong thunderstorm winds downed several trees in the city
of Denver and toppled several trees 7 miles west of Arvada
where shingles were blown off several houses. Thunderstorm
wind gusts reached 58 mph in Broomfield.
In 1997... a weak tornado touched down briefly in Parker...
damaging a greenhouse. Twenty pieces of the fiberglass
roof were ripped away. Heavy rainfall in the foothills
washed out some culverts in the Pine and Conifer areas.
Heavy rainfall spread over the plains with 4 to 7 inches
reportedly falling near Hudson. Several County roads
were washed out between Fort Lupton and Hudson. Several
basements in the area were flooded up to the ceiling.
Standing water... up to 3 feet deep... was reported in some
backyards. Later in the evening... a flash flood killed
5 people and injured 40 others in two Mobile home Parks
in Fort Collins. The torrential rainfall also caused
extensive damage on the Colorado State University Campus.
Thunderstorm rainfall totaled 0.80 inch at Denver
International Airport and 1.09 inches at the site of
the former Stapleton International Airport.
In 1999... heavy rainfall... up to 3 inches an hour... triggered
a massive rock and mudslide along I-70 near Bakerville.
The slide area was about 200 feet wide and 20 feet deep.
Several other smaller slides were also reported along
the Highway. As a result... I-70 was closed for nearly
25 hours in both directions until the debris could be
cleared from the roadway. The blockage of I-70 was one
of the longest in the history of the Highway in Colorado.
A severe thunderstorm produced a wind gust to 64 mph at
Denver International Airport. The storm also produced
1.56 inches of rain and briefly reduced the visibility
to 1/4 mile.
In 2004... a severe thunderstorm produced hail as large as
1 inch in diameter in Thornton.
In 2010... a wet microburst produced very heavy rain and
torrential hail in Boulder County... in the vicinities of
Caribou... Nederland and Eldora. Flash flooding washed
out sections of County roads 126 and 128 near Caribou.
Several large boulders had fallen across the roadways.
Considerable flooding was reported in Nederland.
Water was also observed running across County Road
130... between Eldora and Nederland. The hail had
accumulated up to 8 inches deep near Eldora. Several
vehicles were stuck in the ice... forcing the temporary
closure of cr130 and the Lake Eldora ski Road until
snowplows could clear away the hail. Lightning strikes
caused minor damage to two local businesses in
Nederland. At Denver International Airport... a
thunderstorm produced 0.30 inches of rain along with a
peak wind gust to 38 mph.
In 2012... a tornado touched down briefly at the southeast
corner of Mt. Evans near Lincoln Lake. The estimated
elevation where this tornado touched down was near
12500 feet. This would make this tornado one of the
highest ever observed in the U.S.
28-30 in 1889... dense smoke from Forest fires in the mountains
obscured the sun over the city for three days.
In 1971... a vigorous cold front late on the 28th produced
northeast wind gusts to 39 mph and record breaking cold
temperatures on the 29th and 30th. The temperature dipped
to 47 degrees on the 29th and 43 degrees on the 30th...
setting record minimums for the dates. Upslope cloudiness
along with rain and fog early on the 29th helped set a
record low maximum temperature of 58 degrees for the date.
- Alabama - Heat Advisory
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory
- California - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Air Quality Alert
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Georgia - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Maine - Areal Flood Advisory
- Michigan - Record Report
- Minnesota - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Montana - Areal Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , High Wind Warning , High Wind Warning, Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Nebraska - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Special Statement
- New Jersey - Air Quality Alert
- New York - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Special Statement
- South Carolina - Special Statement
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Utah - Record Report
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Special Statement
- Wyoming - Air Quality Alert , Record Report , Public Information Statement