Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, South and East Jackson/Larimer/North and Northeast Grand/Northwest Boulder Counties Above 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on May 03, 2016
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
1-5 in 1898... snowfall totaled 15.5 inches in downtown Denver.
Most of the snow... 6.2 inches... fell on the 3rd. Most of
the snow melted as it fell. The greatest snow depth on
the ground was only 2.5 inches on the 3rd at 8:00 PM.
This was the only snowfall during the month. Northeast
winds were sustained to 22 mph on the 1st.
2-3 in 1979... heavy rain changed to snow on the 2nd. Snowfall
totaled 3.9 inches at Stapleton International Airport...
where northwest winds gusted to 26 mph. The greatest
depth of snow on the ground was only 1 inch at midday on
the 2nd due to melting. Total precipitation for the 2
days was 1.65 inches.
2-4 in 1987... a slow moving storm brought rain... wind... and snow
to Metro Denver. Rainfall totaled 1.04 inches at
Stapleton International Airport where north winds gusted
to 48 mph on the 3rd. The foothills received 5 to 10 inches
2-5 in 2001... a very slow moving Pacific storm system became parked
near The Four Corners region... which allowed heavy snow to
develop above 6500 feet in the foothills with a mix of rain
and snow over lower elevations of Metro Denver. Snowfall
totals included: 21 inches atop Crow Hill and at Idaho
springs; 19 inches near blackhawk; and 18 inches in Coal
Creek Canyon... Genesee... and 11 miles southwest of Morrison.
Snowfall totaled 6.2 inches at the site of the former
Stapleton International Airport. Precipitation (rain and
melted snow) totaled 2.09 inches at Denver International
Airport where north winds gusted to 30 mph on the 2nd.
3 in 1898... heavy snowfall of 6.2 inches fell over downtown
Denver. Most of the snow melted as it fell. The greatest
snow depth on the ground was 2.5 inches during the evening.
In 1907... the all-time lowest recorded temperature in the
month of may... 19 degrees... occurred.
In 1925... an apparent microburst produced sustained northeast
winds to 44 mph with gusts to 52 mph. Rainfall was only
0.01 inch in downtown Denver.
In 1981... lightning struck 9 golfers at the south suburban
Golf course. None were injured seriously.
In 1983... hail 1 1/2 inches in diameter fell at Green
Mountain west of Lakewood... with 3/4 inch stones reported
In 1986... a thunderstorm wind gust to 51 mph was recorded at
Stapleton International Airport.
3-5 in 1908... rain changed to snow on the evening of the 3rd
and continued through the early evening of the 5th.
Snowfall totaled 10.0 inches over downtown Denver.
This was the last measurable snow of the season.
Precipitation totaled 1.51 inches. North winds were
sustained to 23 mph on the 3rd... 33 mph on the 4th... and
21 mph on the 5th. Three temperature records were set.
High temperatures of 30 degrees on the 4th and 38 degrees
on the 5th were record low maximum temperatures for the
dates. The reading on the 4th was also the all-time
record low maximum for the month of may.
In 2007... a slow moving Pacific storm system... from the
Desert Southwest... brought a period of unsettled weather
to the region. During the 3-day period... locally heavy
snow was reported over parts of the Front Range foothills.
Storm totals included: 15 inches near Conifer... 14.5
inches west of Jamestown... 13.5 inches; 6 miles southwest
of Evergreen... and 12.5 inches at Pine Junction. Severe
thunderstorms... producing large hail... up to one inch in
diameter were observed in the vicinity of Boulder and
Hudson. Lightning struck a residence in Jefferson County.
The roof was hit... causing the attic to catch fire.
At Denver International Airport... lightning struck a
United airlines jet as it was pushing away from
The Gate. The passengers were taken off the jet and put
on another plane.
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Fire Weather Watch , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Flood Advisory
- Minnesota - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Public Information Statement
- New York - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- Ohio - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Flood Warning
- Oregon - Record Report
- South Carolina - Special Statement , Record Report
- South Dakota - Flood Warning
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory , Coastal Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement